16 September, 2008

With One Voice Final



For my "With One Voice" piece, I chose Thomas Merton:

This quilt is in memory of and in honor of Thomas Merton, Brother Louis, a Benedictine monk and writer. He spoke to the many people in the different belief systems with his one voice through his writing. He believed in harmony: Despite the singing of many notes (voices), suddenly one hears only the one note (melody). Living primarily as a hermit, he advocated in a sermon to the birds, "be what you are: be birds." In other words, enter into dialogue, have mutual understanding, and accept each other as individuals within respective groups.

I am very honored to have had the permission and approval of The Thomas Merton Center, to whom I will be donating the piece.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

I think it is wonderful! To me it says that we must cherish and nurture the earth, which I guess is part of being in harmony. What a great idea.
Margaret

Threadhead said...

It's a beautiful piece. I love the hands. They are hard to do and you did well.
Linda

Fannie said...

Amen, Sarah! Love the symbolisms in this piece. Great submission to Breaking Traditions.

Nice to meet you.

Anonymous said...

An awesome piece!

Sarah E. said...

Thank you so very much for your kind comments!